Wednesday 29 August 2012

What's in a Name?

It's still very early days, and whilst the discovery that Asperger's syndrome describes me to a T is comforting, encouraging and liberating, this new found Aspie identity takes some adjusting to.

In the last few years, I've often lightheartedly, but accurately, described myself as 'fundamentally antisocial'.  Now I have a new label to describe that aspect of myself, and so much more besides.  And, honestly, Aspie sits quite comfortably.  I have a physics degree, for goodness sake, I've known plenty of people more socially awkward than myself.  I'm not phased by the idea of AS.  To me, Asperger's is not a negative, any more than left-handedness, it's just a different way of being wired.  But I admit, I am struggling more with the notion of Autism or Autistic Spectrum Disorder.  As well as a degree in physics, I have one in psychology (yep, the numerous degrees, some half-completed is seemingly a feature of AS), and I remember doing some pretty in depth reading on autism in the course of my studies.  The bulk focused on classical autism, and whilst I always felt considerable empathy with descriptions of the difficulties of people with autism, it all seemed very extreme and disabling.  I'm completely aware that autism falls on a spectrum, and I'm clearly high functioning/less severely affected.  Yet I still feel a degree of discomfort with sitting under the same umbrella label as people with severe learning difficulties and extreme disabilities in communication.  Perhaps this will just take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment